In North Carolina, parents of students with disabilities may be eligible for financial aid through ESA+ and/or the Opportunity Scholarship Program. These scholarship programs can greatly offset the cost of tuition at IAA.
NC Opportunity Scholarship Program
The Opportunity Scholarship Program provides annual scholarships for tuition and fees at an eligible private school. This program allows families to access the education best fit for their child's needs. This scholarship can be used in combination with the others listed on this page.
The scholarship amount is based on household income and ranges from approximately $3,000-$7,000. Students from lower income households will receive a higher scholarship than students from higher income households.
Applications become available online February 1st, and you must apply by March 1st for priority consideration.
Students must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the program:
- At least 5 years old by August 31st or at least 4 by April 16 and approved for kindergarten according to state guidelines
- Lives in North Carolina
- Has not graduated high school
- Has not enrolled in a post-secondary institution full-time (12 or more credit hours in a given semester)
Education Student Accounts (ESA+)
The Education Student Accounts (ESA+) program is for students with special needs. It awards scholarships of $9,000 or $17,000, depending on the child's disability, and the award can be used for the tuition costs associated with attending a private school. This scholarship can be used in combination with the others listed on this page.
Applications become available online February 1st, and you must apply by March 1st to be considered in the lottery. If funds remain, late applicants will be considered only as funds allow.
To qualify, a student must:
- Be a child with a disability. Families must provide the Eligibility Determination Form from a NC Public School
- Be at least age 4 by April 16th and entering kindergarten, per state guidelines
- Be younger than 22 years old
- Be a child residing in North Carolina
To learn more about the three North Carolina financial aid programs, please utilize the contact information below.
Phone: 1-855-330-3955 (toll-free)
Web page for scholarships
School Choice North Carolina, a local nonprofit organization, is an excellent resource for questions and assistance regarding the Opportunity Scholarship and ESA+. This short video created by them outlines the two scholarship opportunities.